How to Load, Store and View Your Pocket Pals' Digital (GeoPDF) Maps
- On iOS (Apple) devices your downloaded digital map files will be automatically placed in the "File" app, under "Utilities".
- On Android devices your downloaded digital map files will be automatically placed in "My Files" or "File Manager". Tap on one of these icons and go to "Downloads".
- You may also want to save your downloaded digital file/s to a storage area such as the iCloud Drive, One Drive, Dropbox on your mobile device or directly into the Topo Reader, Topo Nomad, NP Maps or Paper Maps apps.
For iOS (Apple) Devices there are 2 Ways to View your Pocket Pals Digital PDF Maps:
To simply view your digital map on your mobile device (without navigational capabilities). Open your GeoPDF map directly onto your mobile device by clicking on the pdf file. Please note that this method is used strictly for viewing as you will not be able to identify your current location on the map.
To be able to identify your current location directly on the digital map you must use our digital maps in conjunction with a free navigational app from the iTunes store (Topo Nomad, or Topo Reader ). Once the app is installed it can be used to import and view geo-referenced digital PDF maps. As long as you have uploaded the digital map onto this app prior to heading out to the trails, it will be displayed without the need for cellular service/internet connection (i.e. can be used offline). This app will allow you to see your current location on the digital map, identified by a blue dot/ arrow icon. To upload and use these digital maps in the TOPO Nomad or Topo Reader app follow these steps:
To transfer digital maps from the storage area to TOPO Nomad/Reader, locate the map in the storage area (see above), click on the box with the up arrow (in the lower left of your screen) and select, “Copy to TOPO Nomad/Reader”.
To change the look of the background map click the right arrow on the bottom/center of the screen and in Settings choose one of three Reference Map Types: Standard, Hybrid, Satellite.
To turn on the Geo Locating feature of TOPO Nomad/Reader (allowing you to see your location on the map) press the solid gray arrow on the bottom/center of the screen (the arrow will then turn green). This will enable the blue locator icon which will display your current location. If you ever lose the blue locator icon try clicking on the solid gray arrow again (to turn it green).
To learn about more features of the TOPO Nomad/ Topo Reader apps please review the manual that can be accessed from the "Settings Page" (by clicking on the right arrow on the bottom/center of the screen).
Topo Reader Topo Nomad
For Android Devices there are 3 Ways to View your Pocket Pals Digital PDF Maps.
To simply view your digital map on your mobile device (without navigational capabilities). Open your digital map directly onto your mobile device by clicking on the GeoPDF file. Please note that this method is used strictly for viewing as you will not be able to identify your current location on the map.
To be able to identify your current location directly on the digital map you must use our digital maps in conjunction with a navigational app: "Paper Maps".
- Install the "Paper Maps" App from the Google Play store. Once this app is installed it can be used to import and view geo-referenced digital PDF maps. As long as you have uploaded the digital map into this app prior to heading out to the trails, it will display your uploaded maps without the need for cellular service/internet connection (i.e. can be used offline). This app will allow you to see your current location on the digital map, identified by a pulsating blue dot.
3. Install the free app, "Avenza Maps", from the Google Play store. Using this option you must purchase your digital Pocket Pals maps directly from this app (not from our website). From the Avenza Map App search for our Pocket Pals maps either by geographic area or search on our name "Pocket Pals Trails Maps" to find all of our maps that are available for download. Purchase and download accordingly.
Storage: These digital maps tend to be rather large (2-10 MB) so you may want to download and store them in one of the following storage apps on your mobile device: iCloud Drive, One Drive, Dropbox, etc.
Free Updates: You will be notified by e-mail when an updated version of each digital map file is available for download. All future updates are FREE.
Digital Maps Can Be Used Offline: Always transfer your digital maps to your mobile device before traveling to your destination (cellular or WIFI signals may be weak or unavailable at the trail head or along the trail). However, once the map is loaded you will no longer need internet connection (it can be used offline).
Use Airplane Mode to Save Your Battery Life: These types of navigation apps tend to drain your mobile device's battery rather quickly. To avoid this high level of battery drain you may want to consider changing your mobile device to Airplane Mode (in Settings).
Always Take a Paper Map as a Back Up: While out on the trails it is always recommended to have a traditional paper map in addition to a digital map. This is to protect you from the possibility that your device’s battery may be drained or that you may lose a GPS/satellite signal, etc. If you happen to temporarily lose your satellite connection (for example, while in a deep canyon) you may lose your geo-locating service (the blue locator icon) for short periods of time. This will be evident if you notice your blue locator icon stalling out or traveling in odd directions. This issue will resolve itself once you come out of the canyon, etc. but the map will still always be there for viewing.
Our Digital Maps are Designed for Use on Mobile Devices Only: Our maps are not printable because we also sell our maps in a waterproof & tear-resistant paper format. We do offer a discounted price to our customers who would like to purchase both a digital and paper version of the same map.
All Pocket Pals Trail Maps have U.S. copyrights: We kindly ask that our customers do not share our digital map files with others. Thank you for understanding.